13 Oct 30 Tips for Greater Happiness
Like many things in life, enjoying happiness is (at least for some of us) easier said than done.
And sometimes, we make it harder than it need be by overcomplicating things.
So today, I’m sharing this great Psychology Today article by Ilene Berns-Zare which includes 30 simple tips for more happiness; but all these simple happiness tips have been proven to work and are based on the science of Positive Psychology so you can be confident in them and confident giving them a try …
- Each day of our lives we make many choices.
- Although you can’t control external events, you can choose how you’ll respond.
- Five components to promoting a happier, more fulfilling life are positive emotions, engagement, relationships, meaning, and accomplishment.
We typically experience happiness and fulfillment one moment at a time. Throughout our days, we make lots of choices. While we cannot control events around us, we can choose how much we let external events affect our well-being, and how we live the moments of our lives.
Positive psychology’s PERMA model highlights many practices that can help us strengthen our happiness and well-being (Boniwell, 2012; Seligman, 2011; Ben Shahar, 2007). The acronym PERMA offers five evidence-informed components to promote a happier, more fulfilling life—Positive emotions, Engagement, Relationships, Meaning, and Accomplishment. To propel ourselves toward greater flourishing, each of these five components is important.
Here are a few simple ideas to help you empower yourself with fulfilling moments. You might think of this menu as a choice board, bingo board, or calendar—and then experiment with a different idea each day or weekly.
Is there an area of your life that could benefit from more attention?
P – Positive Emotions
- Take a gratitude break. Think about or write down three things that went well today (Emmons, 2007).
- Give yourself time to do an activity that helps you feel more balanced.
- Listen to an uplifting song or read an inspiring story or poem.
- Pay attention to what you’re thankful for.
- Sing in the shower—just for fun, no judgment.
- Pause between bites of food and savor the taste…
… keep reading the full & original article HERE